Open Courseware and Resources (general)
- Earth Sciences:
(also known as geoscience or the geosciences), an all-embracing term for the sciences related to the planet Earth. (Wikipedia)
About Earth Sciences |
- Earth sciences - includes the study of the atmosphere, hydrosphere, oceans and biosphere, as well as the solid earth. Earth scientists use tools from physics, chemistry, biology, chronology and mathematics to understand the Earth system and how it evolved.
Geology - describes the rocky parts of the Earth's crust and its historic development. It embraces mineralogy and petrology, geochemistry, geomorphology, paleontology, stratigraphy, structural geology, engineering geology and sedimentology.
Geophysics and geodesy - investigates the shape of the Earth, its reaction to forces and its magnetic and gravity fields. Geophysicists explore the Earth's core and mantle as well as tectonic and seismic activity.
Soil science - covers the outermost layer of the Earth's crust.
Oceanography and Hydrology - describe the marine and freshwater areas of the watery parts of the Earth.
Glaciology - covers the icy parts of the Earth.
Atmospheric sciences deal with the gaseous parts of the Earth (atmosphere) involving meteorology, climatology, atmospheric chemistry and atmospheric physics.
The Open Education Directory menu for Earth Sciences is in the top left margin.
Some of the terms used in Earth Sciences - click on any one above to Google it.
Why Earth Science? (video) . . . . . .
Video by cmkeane
Earth Science Literacy Principles Guide - The Earth Science Literacy Initiative (ESLI) (US) has gathered and codified the underlying principles and ideas of Earth science across a wide variety of research fields
Earth Sciences - Open Textbooks
Links to open access (free) textbooks.
iBerry's (unsorted) links on delicious
Links to Listings of Open Textbooks (all subject areas)
Earth Sciences - Support for Learners
Sites that actively support learners - eg learner communities, forums, expert help etc
- Geology Rocks - forum: Palaeobiology, Geology, Non-conventional Ideas,Q and A, Latest Geological Findings, Views and Reviews, Geophysics
Mindat Mineralogy Messageboard - general, how to, talk pages, maintenance, miscellaneous, other languages, best minerals
Science Forums, Earth Sciences
Massive Open Online Courses (MOOCs)
Earth Sciences - Best Resource Sites
iBerry's choice - other recommendations welcome!
- Columbia University (US), Center for International Earth Science Information network (CIESIN) - mission to provide access to and enhance the use of info worldwide, advancing understanding of human interactions in the environment and serving the needs of science and public & private decision making, independent non-governmental organization: Programs & Projects, Data & Information, Education & Outreach, News & Events, Media, Links
EnviroLink Network (US) - non-profit organization, grassroots online community uniting organizations & volunteers around the world, up-to-date environmental information and news: Actions You Can Take, Articles, Educational Resources, E-Mail Lists, Events, General Info, Government Resources, Jobs & Volunteering, Maps, Organizations, Publications, Resources for Non-Profits
Geology.com (US) - information about geology and earth science to visitors without charge: News, Careers, Articles, Maps, Satellite Images, Dictionary, Rocks, Store
US Geological Survey (US) - multi-disciplinary science organization that focuses on biology, geography, geology, geospatial information and water, dedicated to timely, relevant and impartial study of landscape, natural resources, and natural hazards that threaten: Maps, Imagery and Publications, Hazards, Newsroom, Education, Jobs
Some other resource sites
Earth Sciences - Unsorted Links
Miscellaneous unsorted links
iBerry's (unsorted) links for this topic on delicious
Earth Sciences - Open Courseware (OCW)
The following links have been chosen by iBerry as good examples of OCW for this topic. Only significant content such as notes, images, videos etc covering topics in reasonable depth are included. Items consisting only of course advertisements, sub-topic headings, single lectures or where a significant proportion of material is password protected are not included. Comments are welcome!
interactive, research-based simulations of physical phenomena: ongoing effort to provide extensive suite of simulations to improve the way that physics, chemistry, biology, earth science and math are taught and learned
Resources available for reuse by teachers and learners worldwide; Energy and Mineral Engineering, Geography, Geosciences, Materials Science, Meteorology, Earth and Environmental Systems, Earth and Mineral Sciences Writing
introduces structure, composition, and physical processes governing the terrestrial planets, including their formation and basic orbital properties, plate tectonics, earthquakes, seismic waves, rheology, impact cratering, gravity and magnetic fields, heat flux, thermal structure, mantle convection, deep interiors, planetary magnetism, dynamics
- Natural Disasters - examination of the causes, effects, and options available to mitigate natural disasters, such as earthquakes, volcanic eruptions, landslides, subsidence, flooding, severe weather, and meteorite impacts
- Mineralogy - basic principles behind the arrangement of atoms to form crystal structures, how these atoms are coordinated and bonded and how this is reflected in the external form, chemical composition, and physical properties, how to identify the most common minerals in hand specimen and to identify the common minerals in thin section
- Petrology - fundamental background in rocks, necessary to understand the Earth, principles behind rock forming processes
big bang & early solar system, earth structure, plate tectonic theory, ocean floor, plate reconstructions, volcanoes, minerals, rocks, seismology, driving forces of plate tectonics, sedimentary rocks, geological time, igneous & metamorphic rocks, mountain building, sea, currents, waves, tides, climates, coastal processes, fresh water, remote sensing, planets
qualitative description & quantitative science, projections, ocean topography, objects of study, framework, properties of seawater, salinity, global oceanic heat & mass budgets, depth distribution of temperature, salinity & nutrients, geophysical fluid dynamics, thermohaline processes, water masses, ocean & climate, wave classification, dispersion, wind waves, long waves, estuaries, oceanographic instrumentation: exercises and utilities, free PDF books (Regional Oceanography, Physical Oceanography)
shelf regions & estuaries, Shelf & Coastal Ocean (Review of deep ocean dynamics,Ekman layer dynamics for shallow seas with stratification, Sea level set-up and buoyancy-driven flows, Tides in shallow seas, Upwelling dynamics, Island wakes, Coastal trapped waves & other oscillations, Fronts in shallow seas and estuaries, Water masses in shallow seas), Estuaries (Definition, classification, Examples, salt balance, flushing time, Pollutant dispersal, Sediment transport, Regional classification, survey), References, links
Challenges of sustainable development in the United States and in other countries, influence of sustainable development concepts on environmental decision-making, sustainable development as a paradigm for environmental policy-making