Engineering and Technology (general)
'Scientists investigate that which already is; Engineers create that which has never been.' - Albert Einstein
About Engineering and Technology
- Chemical Engineering - applies physical and life sciences with mathematics and economics to produce, transform, transport, and properly use chemicals, materials and energy.
- Civil Engineering - design, construction and maintenance of the physical and naturally built environment, including roads, bridges, canals, dams, and buildings.
- Electrical Engineering - study and application of electricity, electronics, and electromagnetism. 'Heavy current' engineering (sometimes only called 'Electrical Engineering') involves high voltage transmission, power and electrical machines whereas 'light current' engineering or 'Electronic Engineering' focuses mainly on passive and active electrical components such as diodes, electron tubes, semiconductor devices and the design of electronic circuits, devices and systems.
- Mechanical Engineering - applies the principles of engineering, physics and materials science to the design, analysis, manufacturing, and maintenance of mechanical systems. It involves the design, production, and operation of machinery and tools.
Based on Wikipedia
Some of the terms used in Engineering - click on any one above to Google it.
What is Engineering? (video) ...
Video by UoN FEBE
- Engineers Dedicated to a Better Tomorrow - charitable non-profit organization dedicated to “making a difference,” both in terms of advancing the engineering profession as well as in helping improve the world through the practice of engineering; includes 'Answering Your Common Questions About Engineering and Engineers'.
- TryEngineering - become an engineer, find a university
The Open Education Directory menu for Engineering is in the top left margin.
Engineering and Technology - Open Textbooks
Links to open access (free) textbooks.
- Free Engineering Books - links to various Online Engineering Text Books, online notes and reference materials; Computer, Electronics, Electrical, Mechanical, Chemical, Instrumentation
- Wikibooks - Subject Engineering; subsections and featured books
iBerry's (unsorted) links on delicious
Links to Listings of Open Textbooks (all subject areas)
Engineering and Technology - Support for Learners
Sites that actively support learners - eg learner communities, forums, expert help etc
Massive Open Online Courses (MOOCs)
Engineering and Technology - Best Resource Sites
iBerry's choice - other recommendations welcome!
- Applied Math and Science Education Repository (AMSER) (US) - educational resources and services built specifically for use by those in Community and Technical Colleges but free for anyone to use: resources (Arts, Educational Technology, Foreign Languages, Health, Language Arts, Maths, Philosophy, Physical Education, Religion, Science, Social studies, Vocational Education
Concord Consortium - digital learning for science maths and engineering; Higher Education Resources
MERLOT Engineering Portal (US) - educational resource for teaching and learning: Teaching Engineering Today, People, Learning materials (Engineering collection includes hundreds of learning materials organized into categories, ready for classroom use, Many with peer reviews, user comments, and assignments attached), educator resources, showcase
Wikipedia, Portal:Technology - news, categories, topics, related portals, Things you can do
More Engineering and Technology Resource Sites
Engineering and Technology - Unsorted Links
Miscellaneous unsorted links
iBerry's (unsorted) links for this topic on delicious
The last full revision of this page was completed on the date given below.